Monday, March 8, 2010

Gimlet

Since my Sidecar post I have been on a kind of citrus binge and I want to share one of my favorite summer cocktails with all of you. It is called the Gimlet. This cocktail uses my favorite spirit of all time, gin. Not only that but I also use my favorite brand of gin, Hendricks. This cocktail is easy to make and delicious to drink. The only two ingredients are gin and Rose's sweetened lime juice. Here is a photo of the cocktail.


I will admit that I made way more than is normal, a triple to be exact and I served it in a beer glass. I can't help it, this is one of my all time favorite cocktails with my all time favorite gin. How am I supposed to practice restraint when the drink gods line me up with this combination? Anyway here are some pictures of the ingredients.


(image found at http://www.adliterate.com/archives/Hendrick%27s%20bottle%20%20290107.JPG)


(image found at https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgtQWRxJomUcRsIPRnxn5Jo5aKZAS95tKW1hfRoRWvUBHF_MyWOzgHY5mSj1BzzaBc9dx9NKT7qlCWKIKov-Cza7vkdGBn-wBGwFs-AtJJRKd3ccWcM__kI-DxeJ2NixA8QvYySQCK-E818/s320/10520L.jpg)

The classic recipe calls for equal parts gin and rose's lime juice, but I find it a little too sweet. Here is my own recipe:
2oz gin
1.25oz rose's lime juice
lime wedge for garnish
Add both ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake until fully chilled. Strain into a highball glass filled with ice, or a martini glass. Garnish with lime wedge or twirl.

This cocktail is sweet and citrusy from the lime juice, but you also get the great taste of gin. Sweet and citrus make this a perfect summer time cocktail, or if you are like me an old standard.
See you all next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment